The BIBH is committed to:
- research, development, promotion and application of the Buteyko Institute Method
- setting standards for the training of new BIM practitioners
- professional development of accredited members
- liaising with government, health and educational bodies
- providing information to members of the public
The BIBH maintains standards of education and the training of Buteyko Institute practitioners/breathing trainers and accepts responsibility for setting standards of ethical and professionally appropriate conduct.
There are currently BIBH practitioners teaching the BIM in several countries. Each practitioner has satisfied the practical and academic requirements for accreditation with the BIBH. Accredited practitioners have a BIBH registration number and are entitled to use the initials MBIBH signifying "Member of the Buteyko Institute of Breathing & Health".
Professor KP Buteyko became patron of the BIBH in December 2000 following his attendance as the Keynote speaker at the inaugural BIBH International Asthma Conference, New Zealand. He remained our patron until his death in May 2003. The BIBH respectfully acknowledges Professor Buteyko for his work and research, which continues to restore health to many.